Monday, June 13, 2005

Sadly Seeking the Air-Conditioned Nightmare

It's hot and muggy in Boston again. My third-floor bedroom/office is sweltering. So I've decided to seek out cooler climates in the computer labs at Emerson College. Yesterday I tended bar at the Red Hat. I was happy to do it. The bar was air-conditioned.

When I was younger, I had several misconceptions about the human body. I used to believe that if you didn't shower, you're body would adjust in such a way that your natural odor wouldn't be offensive. I considered deodorant a consumerist plot for much the same reason. Now I realize I just stunk. I spent freshman year of college in a cloud of stench, and my body never "adjusted".

I felt much the same way about air-conditioning. I thought that, if you remain exposed to heat, you become adapted to it. So I embraced heat. And all I did was sweat.

Now I do whatever I can to find air-conditioning (neither my car or apartment have AC). I shop. I work. I go to coffee shops. I go to class early and stay late.

It's odd that I should seek out even the very things I hate—well...OK, I don't really hate any of those things, but I have no real reason to seek them out either. I seek shelter in the very boxes people rail against. Just to avoid my sweltering home.

No comments: