Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Necessities for Christmas

I'm not a fan of consumerism. And I'm not a fan of Christmas gifts -- as a general concept. My wife feels the same way, and her way of rectifying this is to ask for necessities for Christmas. Work clothes. New socks. Shoes.

Me? I'd like to feel the same way, but I'm always slightly disappointed by my gifts. No matter how specific I am in my asking, and no matter how well-intentioned the giver is in giving, there's always a slight disconnect between my imagined platonic ideal gift and the actual gift I receive. Maybe it has something to do with going without. It feels like sacrifice. "You mean I wore those faded dress pants to work for 5 damn months for THIS!? I wanted Comfort Fit, these are Individual Fit. I wanted Loose Fit, these are relaxed." Then I feel guilty. Not the same guilt I would have felt -- oh -- actually purchasing the item myself. But guilty. The guilt of inappreciativeness.

Maybe I've only got it half right: I'm not a fan of consumerism, but I love buying things. For myself. And I love the pleasure of finding something that's just right, or exactly what I'm looking for, or unexpectedly perfect. Maybe I'm just fickle. But that feeling is rare.

1 comment:

Mike B. said...

I've never read someone that enjoys writing about pants more than you...you my friend are a true Pant-ophile