Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Paint by numbers

A few weeks ago, I saw a copy of The Last Supper, done in paint by numbers. Naturally,this came about when a Boston Globe reporter pulled it out of the backseat of her car to show it to me after a party in a closed bookstore in Roslindale. After playing skeeball in the bookstore basement. Because, really, when else are you going to see a paint-by-numbers version of The Last Supper?

Frankly, I'd advise that all people see it under these circumstances. It's really the only way you could appreciate such an artifact. So enigmatic. Saying, "I'm a trashy, 70's style crafty replica of a Leonardo da Vinci classic and one of the key moments in Christianity." Saying, "Well, I'd like to be creative. Could you tell me exactly where to paint?" The Ikea of art.

There's almost a Warholian take on it. Except Warhol turned everyday objects into art. Painting by numbers turns art into an everyday object.

No comments: