Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The power of God = One deck of cards

Recently I remembered an incident between a friend of my sister's and a teacher of theirs. And -- hey look, I know this sounds like it's third-hand info here, but bear with me -- they made the mistake of trying to bring a deck of tarot cards into a teacher's house during a party (a chorus party? My memory is a bit fuzzy on the details). He refused to let them bring in the cards. If memory serves, his line was, "those won't work here; this is a house of God."

Well, OK. If they won't work, why not let them in the house? I have lots of things that don't work in my house and they don't seem to be a problem. Well, there IS the fact that they don't work, but that's beside the point.

And what if they DID work? Is God so weak as to be defeated by a deck of novelty cards? On one hand, I feel a bit lost in the wilderness if -- not only does God exist but he's all-seeing, all-knowing, and all-powerful -- if this God can be vexed by a deck of strange, magical cards with drawings on them.

On the other hand, it does feel a bit empowering. I just need to remember, when I die, to bring my tarot cards with me (note to self: Purchase tarot cards), and carry them with me to the pearly gates. Then, if he won't let me in, then, well...who's holding the cards now?

Conversely, maybe God has use same twisted illogic as that teacher: "Sorry, those cards won't work here. This is my house."

No comments: