Thursday, January 05, 2006

The future of news

I listened to an interesting NPR show on the future of newspapers. Here are a few tidbits...

--Tabloids, while increasingly popular in Europe, may not work as well in most of the US. Tabloids sell best among public transit users, who recognize the size as a convenience. The fear is that so many Americans are drivers that they don't see that benefit and only see the tabloid size as indicative of grocery-check-out trash.

--While newspaper subscriptions are down, overall readership is up, thanks to Der Intar-Web.

--While newspapers are floundering, alt-weeklies are doing relatively well.

Ironically, when I first joined Emerson's journalism program, I always said I wanted to do "online or alternative" news. Who knew I was walking into a cash cow?

No comments: